Monday, April 16, 2012

Hasselback Sweet Potatoes

Inspired by a recipe found here.




















As I sit here at my computer drinking my afternoon cup of coffee and eating some butter cookies (and by some, I mean a half dozen. Don’t tell Bryan) it occurs to me that I just may be a sugar addict. The first thing I do when I wake up is eat something sweet, whether it be a smoothie, an apple, a brownie, or just licking Natalie’s syrupy fingers after she finishes her waffles. If it’s sweet, I want to eat it. Really. It just might be a problem.

The only exception to this rule is the sweet potato. While the sweet potato by nature is, well, sweet, I just don’t enjoy them the candied-yam-Thanksgiving way with brown sugar and marshmallows all baked up into a gooey, sweet casserole. While Bryan loves his sweet potatoes this way—and I did make a killer casserole this past Thanksgiving according to him—I just for some reason do not enjoy sweet sweet potatoes.

I like the potatoes, though. I never really cooked with them before living with Bryan and I ate them quite seldom, but he was a believer in them for the nutritional benefits, so I thought I’d give some recipes a try. These baked potatoes are exactly how I enjoy my sweet potatoes. Their sweetness is preserved, but also complimented by the tangy thyme vinaigrette. It’s a beautiful, hearty side dish and super easy to make.

Hasselback Sweet Potatoes

by Simply Shlee

Keywords: side vegetarian potatoes sweet potato yams thyme

Ingredients (Serves 4)

    Ingredients:
    • 4 sweet potatoes
    • 4 tsp olive oil
    • Salt
    • Black pepper
    • 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
    • 2 Tbsp. butter
    • Thyme Vinaigrette
    For Thyme Vinaigrette:
    • Juice of 1 lemon
    • 1/2 tsp mustard
    • 1 Tbsp. finely chopped shallot
    • Leaves from 1-2 sprigs of thyme
    • 3-4 Tbsp. olive oil
    • Salt

    Instructions

    Preheat oven to 425. Wash and pat dry potatoes. Rub each potato with a teaspoon of olive oil. With a sharp knife, cut slits almost to the bottom, but not completely through each potato. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and thyme leaves. Cut butter into chunks and place on top of each potato, wedging in between slices to secure. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the center is tender.

    While potatoes are baking, whisk the lemon juice, mustard, shallot and thyme leaves together in a small bowl. Stream in the olive oil while whisking. Salt to taste. Drizzle potatoes with vinaigrette once finished baking.

    Powered by Recipage

    No comments:

    Post a Comment